Abdul Razak Alhassan | Esther Lin, MMA Fighting
UFC fighter Abdul Razak Alhassan has been found not guilty by a jury in Tarrant County, Texas after he was accused of sexual assault on two women.
The 34-year-old fighter was accused of raping the women back in March 2018 following a night out at the Varsity Tavern in Fort Worth where he was working as a bouncer.
The two women alleged that they met Alhassan after he let one of them into the bar despite being underage so they could attend a party for an off duty Fort Worth police officer. Alhassan gave the women a ride home and they later accused him of sexually assaulting them while they were inebriated at one of their homes.
When speaking to police, Alhassan defended the accusations while admitting to having consensual sex with one of the women while her friend was passed out drunk but he denied ever assaulting either of them.
The trial saw testimony given this week with the jury deliberating on the case on Friday morning before reaching a verdict according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
The report states that jurors saw video where police interviewed Alhassan regarding the incident where he told investigators that one of his accusers put her phone number into his cell phone after the alleged assault. The Saginaw police sergeant who conducted the investigation later testified that he never had the phone examined to determine if Alhassan’s claim was true.
“The jurors thought that Alhassan was honest and genuine during the interrogation,” Alhassan’s attorney Brandon Barnett told the newspaper after the trial was completed.
Alhassan’s fighting career had been put on hold in the wake of the disturbing allegations and his subsequent trial. He currently holds a 4-1 record in the UFC with all four of his wins coming by way of knockout or TKO.
“His last fight was in September 2018,” Barnett told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “This allegation put his UFC career on hold for about two years. [UFC officials] were waiting to see what was going to happen.
“I think he was one of the top welterweights in the country. He was an up-and-coming fighter. He’s in shape. He’s been training. I think if he can get another fight he would feel real good to get an opportunity. “